Sunday, April 28, 2013

Personality A

I've decided to train in the coming weeks for the Seaway Half Marathon here in my hometown of Muskegon, MI. A road half is probably one of the most out-of-character things I can do with regard to my usual running tastes, so that's why I decided to do it. This week has been my farewell to my "do whatever" approach. Not that you can't get fit by simply running a lot, but I just miss the structure from my formative years of running. I miss the results even more. I have to face facts: I'm fat and slow compared to who I was a couple years ago. I no longer have the resources at my disposal that I once did, but I have to give it a try. If you're not building up, you're breaking down.

Here's how this first week broke down.

Monday
18(ish)- miles with Mike around Spring Lake. Mile Munching Monster Magic Monkey Mikey Jae seems to be under the impression that he's slow. Well, I guess we all say that, don't we? Either way, he's not. Had a great jog at just the right pace and ended up at a brewery. Great way to spend the first truly nice day of the year.

Tuesday
Just my usual 4 hours of teaching water exercise classes. About a mile of running throughout the day, but nothing formal.

Wednesday
7 miles - cut down run. two miles of easy jogging, then 4 miles of progressively faster running. I whittled it down to a 6:00, but...fuck. It was unpleasant. I've got some work to do.

Thursday
Water classes again. Finals week at school, so it's just not in the cards. If I have to work a night job, I'm glad it's 4 hours of core work in the pool. It's a great supplement to running. Supplement. Not replacement. Must remember that part.

Friday
2 miles. Meetings, papers, and pulling some trees out for a landscaping job. meh

Saturday.
22(?) Miles - Sat around with my thumb up my ass for 3-4 hours waiting for Mike and Erik, then headed up to Manistee National Forest for some trail miles. A really great run in some warm weather. I felt like shit toward the end, but attribute it to not eating enough before the run. I've been switching to a plant-based diet, and forget just how much I have to eat. Ashamedly, I'm also a total wuss in heat. It was around 68F, and I felt like I was melting. Maybe Montana's PT program will be a good fit.

Sunday
Resting before my first week of real training. Worked on my car, kind of bummed around.

Total:

49 miles. I hope I can do better than that, but cautiously building is where the improvement comes from.

I haven't been logging miles lately, but I think it's a good tool for keeping myself on track, so ignore it if you please.

2 comments:

  1. Jesse! You should train for the Volkslaufe in July, in Frankenmuth! I ran one of the races last year and I won a sweet beer stein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check the race out! I love a good bier stein!

      Delete