Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fat Assery

Monday
Rest day - a mighty enjoyable one I might add. 12 hours at school. I'm a little over a third of the way through the semester, and things are looking good so far. Grades are coming in, and if I can keep it up, I'll make it to the next one. The thought of two more semesters of toiling away only to turn in a grad school application is a bit daunting, but I'm surprised at how little it bothers me. I'm on a trail now, and all I need to do is follow it.

Tuesday
2 miles. Yep. Two. Never underestimate the power of the two mile jog. I used to think that being an ultrarunner made me immune to the wonderous effect of a 20 minute run. I was wrong. I wanted to get outside for a moment before heading to work, but had very little time. There's a beautiful chunk of woods a mile down the road from my house. I ran through the snow and down a two track, where I sat next to a creek for a moment, took a few deep breaths, smiled and headed home.

4 hours of water classes to boot. Don't tell anyone that I like my life. It's not a popular opinion to have.

Wednesday
12 miles - School from 8am to 4pm, then hit the road running. 2 mile warmup, then alternating easy and hard miles until the loop was done. Easy miles were slow 8:00-8:30, hard were 6:20-6:40. the 4 hard efforts are made interesting when each step alternates between slush, powder, ice, gravel, and asphalt, but the heart rate got up, so I slept well. Any faster, and I probably would have exceeded my dilapidated state of fitness.

Thursday
7 miles - just a cruise around my neighborhood. More snow.

Friday
Another rest day in hopes of back to back runs this weekend. Whenever I type it onto this log, it never happens. Let's see.

Saturday
8 mile...I think. No watch, but the standard loop at Hoffmaster that usually measures between 7 and 8. Cold as hell, I think it was 5 degrees at the start. I'm not usually one to complain about trail conditions(maybe I am. I don't know), but this was some slow going. Footprints frozen into the ground with pleny of wet snow on top of it. Wearing stff-soled shoes made my ankles pretty wobbly. Oh well, got it done.

Instead of hitting the roads for an afternoon run, I helped my brother haul boards and cinderblocks out of his basement. 12 steps + buckets full of crushed cinderblocks x a shitload of trips. Good enough.

Sunday
27 miles - A supremely fat-assy fat ass run with Jeremiah. 1.5 hours on the trails at Luton Park, then 3 hours on the roads. From the beginning of the run to the end, I consumed:
3 egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches
1 custard long John
1 raspberry filled donut
1 GU
3 bottles of Sam Adams Lager

I've never finished a run feeling full before, usually ravenously hungry. Not the case here. I have to admit, this served no purpose whatsoever, other than that I felt hungry and we had Camelbaks on to carry it. In hindisight, however, it may have some benefits. In each of my 100 milers thus far, I've run well for the first 50 miles, but drastically underfueled. a GU here, an Ensure there. No real food. For a 50 mile, this is fine, and works well. Not so much in a 100. Being in a hurry, not thinking clearly, and running too fast to digest food comfortably are the biggest reasons for this. To run an event that will take(if I'm able) 14-21 hours, I need to eat more. I know how to run fast enough to do well. What I lack, apparently is the ability to sustain the energy levels needed to do so. So, yeah, I ate a shitload of food and came back flabbier that when I started.

Felt good overall on our return to the car, and made the return of my favorite show. Life is good.


Total
56.

An improvement over last week, so it's cool. Rome wasn't built in a day...but it wasn't built by slackers either. Keep Running, or whatever it is you do that makes people look at you funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment