Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Note.

Got into a major low early this week. Not sure exactly why. Physically I felt fine, but feelings of malaise and lethargy just overcame me. Perhaps the laziness came from knowing that my big event is upon me. It's not as if I signed up for this race on a whim and won't care if it goes poorly. I registered for the race at 4am on New Year's Eve. 7 months ago. Training has gone exceedingly well for me overall, but the flaws and hiccups can not be undone. There's not a whole lot of fitness to be gained in these final two weeks, but it's important that I stay moving and don't let muscles get tight or out of balance. I think that was the issue last year when I DNF'ed my first attempt of a 100 this past fall. I was sitting on my ass at my uncomfortable desk, looking for a job and worrying about shit like that.

...wait, that's what I was doing earlier this week. No more sitting and checking and re-checking job/housing sites ad nausem. Going with the flow of things and watching the signs has gottem me further than anything esle, so it's time to relinquish control and simply be.

It's time to sit back, keep my legs moving, and just think positive thoughts(to balance out my occasional bout with pessimism).

As mentioned, Monday and Tuesday were a bust, but today was a much needed redemption.

I got out the door by 5:30 and headed to Gregory Canyon. A really mellow ascent with a little hiking on the tough parts still ended up being pretty fast, with it being about 40 minutes from my apartment to the Ranger Cottage. Jogged the trail to Saddle Rock and back down after sitting for a while and enjoying the quiet.

I couldn't believe how much my mood turned around during this run. I know it's not "safe" to be totally candid because I never know who is reading this, but I went to bed completely distraught the night before. Worrying that my time here in Colorado may come to an abrupt end had defeated me. Getting out of bed, putting on my shoes, and shutting the door behind me was one of the hardest things I've done in quite a while. (oh, and I put shorts on. very important).

By the time I made it to the trailhead, I felt like a new person. I became aware that life can be wonderful. I could almost hear a voice of reason talking to me.


What if these weren't your last weeks in Colorado, but your last on Earth? Would you enjoy them, experiencing some things you've been meaning to do, or would you sit there
inside, tugging at your hair and forgetting to eat?
As someone who tries to embody the "Exercise is Medicine" philosophy of the ACSM, you'd think I wouldn't need the reminder that our bodies need to move, and minds can't move if our bodies don't. If you ever feel like shit, get moving. I don't say this as a health professional or an athlete, but just as a fellow human that struggled to get out of bed this morning.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, I totally agree with the "exercise is medicine" approach. Glad that you snapped out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running provides clarity when thinking about my problems, whether they are the big decisions in my life or the mundane (but essential) like money, food, and shelter. I hope the clarity you attain involves you staying in Colorado, but if not, then I'm sure you'll figure out a way to reboot your plans, and try again from a new angle.

    Like President Dale in "Mars Attacks!" (following the destruction of Congress), keep your chin up: "I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad".

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it weren't for running, I wouldn't be half the man I am today. I'd be less than half. I'd be so much less than half that I'd actually be a woman. A baby woman.

    Animo y ebrio,
    -Pat.

    ReplyDelete