Sunday, November 27, 2011

That's More Like It Ought to Be

This week was petty favorable as far as running goes. A couple double-digit runs, some faster efforts, and trails. I've got some serious adjusting to do to my diet if I want to sustain running. Apparently, eating poor quality food inconsistently is no way to run well. If only I had spent a considerable amount of time paying people to teach me that...

Monday
10 miles - Feeling like running roads for some reason, I left the State Park to run some curvy lakeshore roads. Ran a comfortable pace to a nearby park, then ducked back into the woods for some trails to take me back to the car. Nice route. I'm always happy when 7:00-7:30pace feels comfortable.
Observation: The less shoe I wear, the more enjoyable roads are.


Tuesday
16 awful miles. Met up with Evan in Grand Haven to do a longish run. My legs never got the memo. Couldn't find a pace that felt decent, and my foot was angry. I think my Bikilas are a size too small, causing a little cramping and tendinitis in my foot(one is slightly larger than the other). No pace felt good. I walked at the top of the little hills along the lake shore. Some days, I tell ya. All is well, as we stopped at Dee-Lites for beer(s) and vegan hash and french fries at 11am.


Wednesday
6 miles - A nice run at Muskegon State Park with Jeff, plus a short run to the lake to watch the waves roll in for a bit. Beautiful day to let some sun in. Such a nice run, maybe I'll have another this afternoon. I'm totally cool with the "quality over quantity" winter that is being predicted for the area. By this time last year, I had already been running in slush for 6 weeks.


Thursday
8 miles - Turkey Trot at the YMCA. Warmed up for about 15 minutes, ran the race, cooled down, and caught up to my mom, aunt, and sister. I think I forgot how to run hard, but luckily my track workouts have made 6:00/mile pace feel pretty comfortable. SeƱor Garmin showed all three miles at 5:59, then kicked it in the ass to jog into an 18:28 or something. Considering that I'm in "pasty out of shape retired hasbeen" mode, I'll take it. I take a little pride in the volunteers at the turnaround being overtly surprised that someone was smiling while in 4th place.


I love turkey trot type races. I think what is so great about them is the mix of people.  People who embrace the idea of movement being for everyone are multiplying, and its awesome. You don't have to be a neurotic, hairless, spandex-clad clown in a heart rate monitor (not that there's anything wrong with that) to enjoy some exercise with family and friends. Keeping moving keeps us young, happy, and healthy.


Friday
AM- 7 miles with Stewart and Mark. Beautiful day for a run with only shorts and a t-shirt required. I was a little heavy-legged from the previous day's 5k(cut me some slack, I'm not used to running quality), but we casually moved along, playing in the leaves and listening to Stewart singing Bee Gees songs. I was tired, but was somehow stayin' alive. Yep...that just happened.

PM- 3 miles. I'm babysitting a dog for the weekend. He was all antsy and driving me nuts as I attempted to sloth it up on the couch, so I took him out for an easy 3mile jog. I wouldn't want to judge an entire breed of dog, but based on this sample(population: 1), Pit Bulls are not distance runners. Either that, or my companion pro tem is actually a well disguised shi-tzu.

Saturday
zip. Felt like taking it easy. I've been really enjoying running lately, and don't want to wreck a period of extra zeal by forcing a boring run in.

Sunday
14(ish)- Met up with Evan for a Dirty Herd Roundup. Ran the first loop nice and easy(38:00), then stopped at the car for agua and to remove some clothes. Next lap was of substantial quality, around 35 minutes. Rolled in just in time to meet up with the herd and run the final lap in the 36-37minute range. Its a 4.5 mile trail loop. Quite muddy since it's been raining for a couple days.

This run was a nice reminder that I need to eat. I've been neglecting to take care of my running on the nutritional end. Living at home, despite more food being available, has caused me to skip meals or eat at odd hours. Time to take care of myself and realize that garbage in=garbage out. Considering that I've been in on a vegetarian kick lately, I'm probably in need of even more calories.

64 miles. Had I not taken my rest day, it could have been an even 70 or more. Oh well. Still a good week. Every time I went out, I didn't have to coax or convince myself- I really wanted to go.

I hope this week can be recreated and improved upon instead of being a flash in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment