Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Log Road to Recovery

Just some musing here. I'm not doing much running, but I'm doing some thinking.

I've decided to let running go for a little bit. I'm awaiting a doctor's visit to see if this knee issue is runable or not. As of now, I can run flat roads at my normal pace with little pain. It's not an impact or weight bearing issue, but rather a pain that arises when I exceed a certain degree of flexion. 1 hour of mountain biking causes about the same amount of pain as an hour of running. Possible culprits are lingering strain from descending Pikes Peak a few weeks ago(best case), a torn meniscus of unkown origin(not unlikely- I've been doing lots of firewood cutting and haybail hauling lately), or even arthritis from the catastrophic motocross injury it sustained 4 years ago(not likely, but a scary possibility).

Until I know, I'll just let running slip through my fingers for time being. As fall comes in, it's a perfect time to run for the sake of getting outside and enjoying the falling leaves around me. Even the monotonous roads around my Michigan home are starting to present me with spectacular views. The all - to familiar state parks are transforming from a mosquito-laden greenhouse to a comfortably cool playground. The colors haven't popped yet, but the occasional yellow or red leaf shows itself as I wander around under the canopy.

Today, I found a way to spend some time outside and be productive for a change. I grabbed the chainsaw and a splitting maul and headed out back, where a pile of logs awaited my arrival.
 My parents have been using wood to heat their home since they moved in about 30 years ago. Since both my mother and father are extremely self reliant, my sister and I have found ourselves to be junior lumberjacks since we can both remember. As we grew stronger, our responsibility increased. As we grew older, so did the age of the wood we could carry. Summer and fall were spent preparing for winter.

It reminds me that memories are totally dependent on one's frame of mind. At the time, I found cutting wood to be an rather unpleasant slog. I became bored easily and tired quickly. The weather was hot and humid, bugs were plentiful. Looking back now, these were some of the more important and prominent times of my life. I spent time with my family, learned how to work(as well as some clever ways to avoid it), developed an appreciation for the outdoors. Though I didn't bother to formulate the thought completely, I understood that we were taking from nature to heat our home.

Lost the thought. I'll post it anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being a junior lumberjack myself when I was 10, living in wood heated home in Northern British Columbia. I even received a sledge hammer and splitter for my 11th birthday! Today, I am much more likely to run ultras than be found splitting wood, which is probably why my upper body physique is still much like a 10 year old boy.

    My doc noticed signs of OA in my knee while fixing a meniscus tear (soccer injury) a couple years back. I have since rebuilt my stride and run pain free (in the knee at least). I don't know if this is a brief respite before I'm told I need a new knee, or if I will continue running for decades to come. Either way, I'll enjoy the time I've got now.

    Geez, I make it sound like I'm in remission from cancer...

    ReplyDelete