Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SXUC Winner Sunglasses Review

As much as I'd like to believe that it's my running prowess that gets me swag to review, I'm inclined to think that it's almost entirely attributed to my blogging and general attention-seeking internet presence. I don't plan on writing reviews for any toaster ovens or vinyl siding, but being approached to review items that don't strap to my feet is pretty exciting. When I was asked to review the SXUC Winner shades by sunglassesshop.com, I had to think about my boundaries as a blogger and a writer. Will I review anything? Can I be bought by any company that throws some product my way? These are questions that we have to ask ourselves if we want to maintain our integrity. My answer? Yes and no. I feel that reviewing everything that comes my way would be a bit sleazy, but I also want to be well informed about all things running gear, so I felt compelled.

Though the marketing folks at sunglassesshop.com are interested in me as an advertising vehicle for their product line, they also seem to have a genuine interest in their audience. I'm reviewing a sport-specific model that is intended to be used for running and cycling. To make sure I'm not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, I'll state that sunglasses were given to me free of charge for the purpose of reviewing.

Exploring the mountains with my SXUCs

The homely author.
These would be a tough sell for me. I'm generally not a fan of wearing sunglasses unless I'm driving and the sun is shining directly in my face. I chose to review the glasses because I was curious as to whether a quality pair would sway me over to the darkened side.

Design
As one can tell from the pictures, these glasses are of the "blade" variety with no full frame to hold the lenses in. This proved to be a nice feature that I hadn't really considered. Not having the entire lens surrounded by frame helped keep my vision clear and less distorted. A huge concern for me while wearing sunglasses is that my vision will be altered slightly, making really technical trails tough to manage. On all the the most technical of trails, this wasn't really an issue. The frameless bottom half of the sunglasses also helped sweat drip off, rather than pooling up in the bottom of the frame. This is something I noticed while I was chugging up Gregory Canyon with my head down, sweating bullets in the 95 degree heat under a cloudless sky.

Performance/Fit
The protection from bright sunlight proved to be an asset. After a full afternoon of running the rocky canyons in the sun, my eyes typically have difficulty adjusting to sunset and darkness. The SXUC Winner prevented that. The glasses are also very light. Most might not be overly concerned about the weight of something as small as a pair of sunglasses, but my full running getup consists of a small water bottle, a scandalously small pair of shorts, and a 7 ounce pair of shoes. I don't count grams like a cyclist, but I sure don't like wearing heavy gear. As I mentioned before, The vision distortion I had been concerned about was not an issue. A quality pair of sunglasses will only alter the amount of light getting in, not the objects in the lenses. On really technical trails, I still put the glasses on my head and ran without them. For road running, however, they're quite impressive.


Another huge positive for these glasses is that they lenses haven't fogged on me yet. This is one of my huge pet peeves with most sunglasses, so I was happy

Negatives?
I'm not typically a huge fan of the "blade" style of sunglasses. Even though they reminded me a tiny bit of early 90's NASCAR racing, they still earned my girlfriend's style seal of approval. The styling is now quite popular with cyclists and triathletes, so I don't feel that out of place with them on.

Though the fit feels comfortable, I still found the lenses to be a bit small. When I first put them on, I could see light coming in from the bottom. I'm cautious in making this complaint because the lenses have yet to fog on me. The smaller lens may be one thing to attribute that ventilation to.

The Verdict?
Sunglasses are like lots of other sporting equipment - the best stuff is the stuff you never have to think about. If I have to think about my sunglasses, I'm leaving them in the car. This is why I haven't got a 12 page article for you on the SXUC Winner. They work, they protect the eyes, and don't look too shabby.

Sunny day near Leadville, CO
Buy a pair from http://www.sunglassesshop.com/ and keep me in a sponsorship! I know seem to be bit of a whore when it comes to free swag, but I do turn down more than I accept. This company has good customer service and some good product. 

If you skimmed to the bottom to avoid my babbling. Here you go:
Pretty darned good sunglasses for about 17 bucks!

Note: I've had the glasses for about 2 weeks. I won't hesitate to post an update with regard to durability.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I skimmed to the bottom to avoid your babbling, but I appreciate the pictures. :) The glasses look good on you. And free looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice blog.The experience can help others to buy a quality pair of sunglasses with paying less money. I also buy online things specially glasses which is best in all so read here for more services.

    ReplyDelete