Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quick Update: The Racoon has landed.

After lots of driving, this was a sight for sore eyes.
...I didn't know what to call myself, so Racoon it is. It's against code to give yourself a nickname, so I do not wish this one to stick. Mostly just a reflection to my dumpster-esque eating habits.

Sam and I have finally landed in Boulder after a stop in Omaha last night. The trip went exceedingly well, especially considering my track record for getting lost when most deem it impossible. Sam was a good co-pilot, staying awake and providing conversation.

The weather isn't too conducive for sightseeing at the moment. It's about 43 degrees F and raining/foggy. We were still greeted by the mountains upon our arrival. I can't wait to get up there and see what the trails have to offer. After Mind the Ducks, a change in elevation is welcome. I sit here at 5500 feet above sea level, feeling a strange sense of adventure with a little home sickness. I have this great place before me to explore, but have left my dearest friends and family behind. They're all immensely supportive, and for that I'm thankful.

On the running side, not much to tell. My foot hurts. I seem to have strained my left foot muscles(feels like the toe flexors). Im not suprised or even upset. I ran my longest run ever less than a week ago at a pace that was pretty good for this bum. I'm hoping some rest over the next couple days will clear it up and I can hit the trails by next week.

Sam and I both in search of part time work, but not in a huge hurry.

To all of you who are following me on this journey, I thank you for the support. Everything feels right, but that doesn't mean it's always easy.

Ever travelled and spent the summer/a year/a decade away from everything and everyone you know? Share, I'd like to hear about it.

JS

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jesse,
    What you're saying is really encouraging. I moved from Ohio, where I grew up, to Brazil when I was 12. This post is actually pretty timely because today is a huge packing day and I'm leaving the country Tuesday for good. I can definitely agree with the overlapping feelings of loss of the past and excitement for the future.

    I've been really enjoying your blog the last few weeks. Keep it up! I hope to race against you some day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have an amazing time! I can't wait to come out and visit in June!!!

    ReplyDelete