Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ups and downs, but not much elevation change

Monday-
0 - felt like crap. My asthma has taken me down. On one hand, I'm glad I don't have chronic asthma that limits my respiratory function every day. On the other, the days that I have flare ups make me feel as if I'm going to suffocate and die. Every time I wake up short of breath, I can only remember my mother carrying me around outside in the dark, allowing the fresh, cool air to relieve some pain. The majority of my outdoor time today was spent walking around, enjoying my limited mobility. I hate to over exaggerate, but I honestly was struggling for air the entire day. Life has its good days and bad. This wasn't great.

Tuesday -
7 miles - I felt up to a run, so I met Mark, Rick, Ryan and Tony at Hoffmaster for some joggin.' I felt fine as long as I kept the intensity low and focused on breathing. I can't help but be thankful for the humbling experience. Next time I worry about going sub 7 hours for 50 miles, I'll think about the day that I could barely get oxygen in my lungs.

Wednesday
0 miles - Today was sort of a "middle" day. My asthma symptoms were fairly compliant, but I lacked motivation. If my lungs aren't rebelling against me, my brain is. Laziness coupled with cabin fever is a dangerous combination.

Thursday
4 miles - 4 easy with Sam at GVSU. a chilly run, but we enjoyed ourselves. Sam guilted me into turning off my Garmin, and I'm glad she did. Just enjoying some movement outdoors was all I needed.

Friday
9 miles - Evan was in town visiting his family, so he and I met up for an easy run around GVSU's campus in the rain. I should have remembered- I'm slow and "easy" is a relative term. 7 flat was about all my wheezy lungs could muster up for the 9mile trip. Since I hadn't taken my inhaler or had a nebulizer treatment in nearly 48 hours, I'll take it as a good sign.

Saturday
11 miles - Met Jason in Grand Haven for 5 miles of tempo(ended up around 7:10 pace on hilly streets on the lakeshore), and a nice jog around the lake to cooldown. Discussed some future race plans and life in general. business as usual.

Sunday
5 miles - Met the Gazelle Dirty Herd for some trail running at Robinettes Apple Orchard in Grand Haven. Jason, Shelly, Mark and I did some running, then met up with John, a tech rep from Merrell, for some fun and food at the Twisted Rooster. I'm not paid or affiliated with the company in any way, and I can honestly say that they've nailed the essence of the minimalist shoe movement. Impressive gear and great staff.

Total
36 miles. Though incredibly underwhelmed by this figure, I can't help but be happy that I managed a week like this with inflamed airways and one of the worst cases of malaise I've ever experienced in my life. There's a slight glimmer of hope for this train wreck of a runner.

Here's to re-lighting the spark of motivation. Maybe the first full week of March wont be so decidedly crappy like february. I feel like I've built up some strength over the winter, and maybe I can start to polish it now.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm sorry to hear about this lapse in health. Give that asthma hell! Kick it right in it's not-permitting-oxygen-absorption ass!

    Heal on, healer.

    Sidenote: I've been assembling a team for the Great Lakes Relay in July. Just a fun way to break up the summer racing, I suppose. Up to about 8 on the team right now, looking for 10. Just saying.

    www.greatlakesrelay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I was considering doing GLR as well, but sadly I'll be out of town. It sounds awesome! Two of my good friends did it last year and loved it. Like an ultra, but with less running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog, but really appreciate what you have to say. The ups and downs of running can be major, but I guess the downs can really make you appreciate the ups. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete